.
The Marxist approach was the
most used to understand the text “Before the Law” by Franz Kafka within my group.
This would result in considering factors such as possible signs of power,
wealth or hierarchy to find a reason to certain acts within the text. However,
I would take a formalism and new criticism approach to dig deeper into its’
meaning. The outcome for the different readings is distinct, with a Marxist
approach we come to a conclusion that this text is about power while with a
formalism approach we create a possible storyline. After considering both
approaches, the most reasonable to be used to understand this piece is Marxist
for the following reasons; a clear boundary of power is set through details and
its’ simplicity gives a greater meaning.
Briefly my group discussed how the
detail imply power shift and a clear line of distinction between the government
and its people. As well as a representation of what laws at the moment may be
during the time period that this was written in. We
considered a variety of approaches but this one seems the most reasonable and
easiest to use in order to understand the basic concept of the text.
Through the formalist approach we
can assume a variety of things which is what I did. The overall concept being
that it is a representation of borders and the people who aren’t allowed past
them. The gate would represent the country and the man of the country would be representing
the people from a different country who are not allowed in. I assumed this
because by the end we learn that the man should have been allowed through the
gate as it was created for him. Meaning that gates are meant for people to use
it as an entrance. The old man waits a long time by the gate to be allowed in
and this can represent that over a long period of time the law has not changed.
Although at first this seemed to quite fit with my reading after learning about
the Marxist approach, I understand that I don’t have enough background of the
story to understand what is exactly provided to us through the text. Therefore,
this story represents the power being contained within this time frame and
place.
From the beginning the gatekeeper
receive the power by his description as my group mentioned, he seems to be very
sharp in comparison to the “man of the country” which is the only way the old
man is described. This would represent the government and who had power within
it, the officials and those corresponding to the law and working within it are
in charge of the people below. The biggest form of power demonstrated is that
the gate keeper made the decision to not let in the old man. The gatekeeper
looked down on him and wouldn’t let him go through despite the gate being
created for that purpose.
After discussing these specific details,
I changed my mind on which approach would be best, I decided to try to
understand the text through the Marxist approach because it gives detail, about
the country that the writer potentially talks about. Instead of using Marxist
to assume what may be the reason, using Marxist gives you the reasons and perspective
on different people. Both people with power and no power are included.
Overall the class decided that
Marxist was a good way to use to understand this story and after realizing this
I do too prefer to use it in this case. It gives me a more reassuring basic
understanding of what is going on rather then an assumption made through looking
for symbols or characterizations within the reading.
Maria,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your view on "Before the Law." I can agree that the man is viewed as an immigrant, however they way you described it differed from me. One aspect I really liked is how you wrote that using the formalist approach can make a person assume a plethora of things. I also liked how you input your opinions throughout your blog and your changing mind on theories. Something that can be improved for future blog posts is possibly a bit more evidence from the text.
Hello Maria! Your comparison of formalist and Marxist approaches to analyzing "Before the Law" was very insightful. I especially appreciated how you described and analyzed the gate in the functionalist paragraph. I also liked how clearly you stated your perspective in the introduction and conclusion. Something that might be improved upon is using more specific evidence from the text. I would also like to hear more about your functionalist argument once you found the background information you referenced needing.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete